Thoughts

September 21, 2010

Spanish for the Day:
Contraer is a verb that used primarily in two instances:
1) When getting married.
2) When catching a disease.


Vino.
Internet and 2 glasses of wine?
2.40 E.
I finally found a cafe close to my house that has free internets, and apparently cheap and good wine.
Wine, Bread, and Coffee I think will be the things I miss the most when I go back home.
Than and the people of course.
Loosened me up good too, the wine that is, easier to speak Spanish after a glass or two of wine. I stop trying to sound 'right' and focus more on communicating. Also I lose some of my fears of sounding 'wrong.'


Cena.
Carmén made the most delicious dinner for me tonight out of the following ingredients:
Lettuce
Tomatoes
Onions
Olives (Green and tasty)
Avocados
Fine Spanish Olive Oil (Fancy shtuff)
Italian Vinegar
a touch of salt.
And a side of bread.
Bread here, is like baguettes, and delicious always.

This was fantastic, she's always so accommodating and nice to me, and she's always making really good food.
The strange thing, and I just realized this, is that she doesn't use butter in her cooking.
I thought cooking was named after some crazy alternate spelling for 'Melting Butter,' or after the guy who invented butter, or something like that. But she does use onions in almost everything. I'm fairly certain onions are the second most important ingredient next to butter.


Warning: Strong Opinions ahead, also complete Digression from Spanish culture.

Guys.
Two years ago, I remember there was a big movement at the U of I to eradicate 'Guys' from the common vernacular.
Particularly the romantic gender agreement aspect, where an adjective or noun describing multiple females and any number (even one) of males will be treated as a masculine.
This isn't normal in English, but as far as language goes it's rather status quo.
I wish I had spoken a little more assertively about my opinion that 'Guy' in the Pacific North West dialect is a Androgynous term, referring to a human regardless of sex, gender, orientation, political sway, or color of shoes they happen to be wearing. Of this sort of noun for describing singular people which we have few, and even less that are simple. (Person, Human, I'm struggling to come up with anything else.) I felt that attacking the use of this noun at all to be counter productive for those of use interested in gender equality and balance, but I have found that gender equality is not always the priority of the feminist's agenda.
This is all very nice and cute, but ultimately no better that absent minded philosophy.
Should we say 'guys' or not.
I was watching the news today, and with Carmén's help I learned that In Spain, in the last 9 months, 50 women have been murdered. Mostly, as I understand it, either by lovers or because they were lesbians. (That bit was a bit muddy)
Consider, then, in some of the more extreme traditions, a father would rather kill his daughter for shame, than allow her to live and offer her comfort and counsel after she has been raped.
Now, I realize Idaho is a fair distance away from most of this, and it has its own issues, but things can be done. Awareness can be raised.
Don't get me wrong, many feminists were involved in actual, real-life, causes that need addressing.
I just think that perhaps there are some issues that are more pertinent than others.
More pertinent than a bunch of freshmen boys who think the word boob is funny
more pertinent than the strange aspects of English's ragtag grammar (Where regular verbs seem far and few between)
more pertinent than uncomfortable shoes, that don't necessarily need to be worn
and perhaps a little more pertinent than the vagina monologues.
But this is what pops into my mind, when I begin to wonder how the hell 50 women could be killed in 9 months in a small European culture, and the first I hear of it is watching the news inside of that country.
Did anyone else know about this?

Well I have a test in 10 minutes I probably should study for.

Kishpike Out.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.tinet.cat/~elebro/poe/mher/nanas.html

    as if you don't have enough Spanish language to wade through, here's a poem about a political prisoner whose son is being suckled on "the blood of an onion".

    It's quite good.

    ReplyDelete